SD MAXX Video Board Replacement
Video Board Replacement
Caution – Use standard electrical safety and ESD procedures at all times.
- Remove the 3 screws that hold the lid along the top edge of the rear panel.
- Tilt the rear end of the lid up slightly, and then pull towards you to remove it.
- Locate the wide ribbon cable that connects the audio and video boards together.
- Carefully remove the ribbon cable from ONLY the audio board side, and then fold the cable out of the way with it still attached to the video board. When removing the cable from the board, be very careful no to damage the cable by yanking the ribbon in an awkward direction. A pick tool is the safest way to unseat the connector.
- The PCI-riser for the video board is held in place by a bracket that runs along the top of the RAID card. The front section of the bracket is held to the chassis by 2 screws that also hold the Hard Drive fan bracket. The rear of the bracket is held to the chassis by 1 screw in the rear panel. Remove the 3 screws, but DO NOT remove the 3 screws near the center off the bracket that hold the 2 PCI-riser retaining brackets.
- With the screws removed, carefully pull the bracket out of the machine. Pay close attention to the bottom “feet” of the two PCI-riser retaining brackets that are attached to the RAID bracket. The “feet” have the possibility of damaging the PCI Riser card if not removed with care.
- The video board is held in place by 2 screws on the rear panel, and 2 screws on the front edge of the video board. Remove the 4 screws. NOTE – For the front screws, remove the 2 that are threaded into the bracket, not the 2 screws that tie the bracket to the chassis.
- Disconnect the PCI-riser from the video board, and remove the video board from the server.
- If the new video board was not supplied with a new ribbon cable, then pull the cable off of the old board and reuse.
- Set new video board into server, and then install the 4 screws.
- Connect the PCI-riser to the video board. Verify that the riser is fully seated on both ends, to the video board, as well as to the motherboard.
- Make sure that the card is FULLY inserted into the slot before continuing.
- Carefully place the RAID bracket into the server. Verify that the top edge of the RAID card is seated into the card guide on the bottom side of the bracket.
- Insert the 3 screws to hold the bracket, but DO NOT tighten yet.
- With the screws in place, position the RAID bracket so that the PCI-riser retainers are touching the side of the PCI-riser, and that the bottom “feet” are touching the topside of the riser where it is seated into the motherboard. The retaining bracket does not have to exert pressure on the riser; they just have to barely touch the riser to be effective.
- While holding the RAID bracket in place, tighten the 3 screws that hold it to the chassis.
- Insert the ribbon cable onto the audio board.
- Place the lid back on the server and install the 3 screws.